[plug] [OT] Arguments in favour?

Rob Potter potter at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jun 3 11:38:05 WST 1999

At 11:32  2/06/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Bret Busby wrote:
>

>> What is a "D&C"?
>>
>> Is that some disgusting act that only young people can perform?
>
>You don't have to be young and the disgusting bit depends on your
>beliefs but only females can have it done. I can't remember what the
>letters stand for (my nurse girlfriend will shoot me for that!) but it
>usually means an abortion even though there are other medical reasons
>for having a 'D&C'.

 Dilation and curettage - and it is a not uncommon procedure for a number
of gynaecological problems.  The fact that it is also pretty much the same
procedure as used for most abortions has lead to the name being used as a
less emotive phrase for a pregnancy termination.

Rob
Dr Rob Potter
WA State Ag Biotech Centre
Murdoch University