[plug] To summ up -- Time & Task Management Tool

Andrew McMeikan andrew.mcmeikan at mitswa.com.au
Thu Jun 3 14:38:46 WST 1999

OK everyone,
	I am re-posting the message that turned into a WEB methodology
war.
	There is an app here that needs to be written one way or another,
so lets shift the focus back to what's needed.

Trev, if possible do have some sort of spec to what's needed?  If not it
might be a good idea regardless of if you get a mailing list generated
package or a commercial one, it always helps if you know what your after.

 As this is the PLUG list we should focus on using Linux as a server for
this app.  I am sure everyone would agree that apache would be best as the
http server?

 Some sort of database is needed; while I like the simplicity of text
databases, it sounds like there are a large number of users so we need
more.  I suggest postgres (cos I've already used it), with a Perl
interface (cos Trev likes Perl [and it is reasonable anyway for this])

 To keep the Java advocates happy they can write the Advanced Presentation
(TM) app, to produce all those nifty graphs on those machines capable
while those without will have to live with a couple of bar graphs and
tables.

 Have I missed any points?

	cya,	Andrew...

PS: Rob Hall, did you get that CGI prog running ok?