Java and Perl (was Re: [plug] Time & Task Management Tool)

David Bastow bastowdl at cs.curtin.edu.au
Thu Jun 3 18:19:12 WST 1999

> > > Easier than perl. I speak as one who's learned both in the past 12-19
> > > months.
> >
> > Wow! You found Java easier than Perl?? I picked up basic Perl in a
> > couple of hours going through a tutorial. Making simple apps using
> > libraries like the CGI one in no time. Looked at Java for several days
> > and just couldn't get my brain around it.
>
> Nobody learns perl in a couple of hours. You might learn a little perl in
> that, but I have a book containing about 650 pp. Nobody can even READ it
> in that.

Perl is very logical though, I have a 750+ page book - it took me couple
of hours to `get the gist' and now, its just a matter of flicking into the
section I am interested (for example, using gnuplot) and I will have it
going in 5 minutes.  There's lots to know, but from a small base knowledge
you can basically guess the rest.

"Here's your $9.98 change sir" I hear as the cashier pockets my tenner

David B