[plug] OI X11 development toolkit

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Fri Jun 4 22:22:42 WST 1999

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Peter Wright wrote:
> > But LyX looks like it might have potential.  I very much dislike their
> > choice of GUI toolkit
>
> Yeah - Xforms I believe - it certainly ain't too pretty when compared to
> Qt or gtk or Tk or motif. However, it's a lot prettier than the Athena
> widget set, and there are a lot of very useful X apps that use that w/set.

I managed to pick up `The OI Programmers Guide 2nd Ed` fairly cheaply the
other day. It allows you to choose either a Motif-like or an Xview-like
appearance. The OI (Object Interface) Library is available at Sunsite
(contributed by ParcPlace) but their licensing implies that if you write
an app using it, it requires registration.

V4.0 is an old release (from before Linux kernel 1.0.0). I've written to
them asking about licensing for freeware and Open-Source apps. I'm still
waiting on a response from them, but, I'll mention the result here when I
hear something. I'm really hopeful since it's a damned good manual and the
library looks like it'd be lovely to work with. Plus the widgets look nice
too :).

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |