[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Sat Jun 5 11:04:18 WST 1999

I know this is not rreally Linux related but If you go to the windows update
site There is a 128bit encryption update for IE that supposedly goes off and
checks the servers you use for 128bit encryption and if they are using this
then you can get the update. (There is some blurb about this allowing to
happen so that people can do international banking etc).

Personally I think the ramifications of this process are far more an
invasion of privacy than other methods of credit card fraud. I mean M$ can
use this informationb to attract more customers to use their e-commerce
products (say like ANZ, our software works best with IE) and we all get
stuck in a proprietry based vendor market, the very thing we are trying rto
get away from.