[plug] Netscape problems

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 7 16:30:21 WST 1999

Hi Pluggers,

  I'm having problems with Netscape:

  * I have a helper application for .dvi files to use xdvi
    ... but Netscape loads the file, says `Document: done'
	and does nothing.

  * A similar sort of thing happens with text files

  The thing is that everything used to work even under the
file: protocol. Now it doesn't. Could this have anything to do
with an upgrade to Linux 2.2.9. I've also tossed out Debian's
teTeX and installed it from teTeX sources (I can't believe this
is the source of the problem, though).
  My belief is that with the upgrade to Linux 2.2.9 that I may
have also got a much more extensive default set of helpers
i.e. the default mimetypes and mailcap file may have something
that overrides my personal .mime.types and .mailcap ... but I
just can't see where.
  Has anyone encountered something similar? ... and know how to
fix it?
  We are using Netscape 4.07.
  The way we add the xdvi helper is:

#in ~/.mime.types