[plug] Windows Briefing

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 11 09:46:59 WST 1999

At 08:14 11/06/99 +0800, John Breen wrote in part:
>presenting was demonstrating how IE5 "remembers" where you've been on
>the web and allows autocompletion of URLs you are typing in.  The

This reminds me of the M$ blurb that crossed my desk a few days ago
regarding Office2000, part of which says:  "... Office 2000 *repairs
itself* if things go wrong.  For example, if you accidentally delete
program files, MicroSoft Office 2000 *automatically reinstalls* them for
you, so you can keep working without having to worry ..."  The emphasis
(bolding) is theirs.  Tad scary, huh?

<RANT aka wry grin>
O97 is big enough.  O2000 is likely to be larger.  Now M$ users have to
have an obviously large part of the install suite resident on the disk and
standing ready in case a frustrated user nukes its tender workings.  Quite
apart from the fact that standard installations bury the tender workings of
O97 in directories of which the average user isn't even going to be aware,
let alone get down there and "accidentally" delete files!
</RANT>

Cheers,
Denis