[plug] Windows Briefing

John Breen john.breen at unitedconstruction.com.au
Fri Jun 11 14:04:51 WST 1999

What they said was, it can be installed on one machine (for use) and on
the backup machine.  That to me says two machines.  What they do is
generate a registration key which is unique to your windows/hardware
setup that means it can't be installed on another machine.  The thing
is, the code is _supposed_ to be able to say "OK, you got a new HDD,
everything else is the same, so I guess it's the same machine..." and
run, but if you take it out of your machine and put it on another
completely different one it doesn't go.

So perhaps it's possible to get around their protection system by
spoofing id codes and gradually allowing the "spoofed" codes to
disappear.  Not that I would advocate any such thing....

Cheers,

John

John Breen
Programmer