[plug] Validated Probes

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 09:59:08 WST 1999

First a greeting to all the Pluggers as this is my first post to the
group... I signed up on the list a couple of weeks ago.  I was "converted"
to Linux late last year and our College has just made a complete change over
of our 5 servers from NT to Linux with Samba.

My query is in regards to the "validated probe" message that appears like:
Validated probe(192.168.2.xxx:xxxx, 192.168.2.1:3128, xxxxxxxxx)  where x is
any number

I hunted around some Linux reference sites and determined it had something
to do with my workstations receiving cookies.  The problem is that after
about a dozen Validated probe messages coming up, my squid proxy server
dies, forcing me to do a restart - and of course if I'm not in my office at
the time it means the 'net could be down for some time causing all sorts of
inconvienance.  The problem only seems to occur with the students playing a
stockmarket simulation on the asx.com.au website.

Any ideas on how I can make squid more resiliant?

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager
Kingsway Christian College