[plug] Why don't my messages get through?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 19 18:41:24 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/18/99, 4:28:32 PM, Christian <christian at global.net.au> wrote
regarding Re: [plug] Why don't my messages get through?:

> blockley at environ.wa.gov.au wrote:
> >
> > I know some anti spam security has been set up on the mailing list.
Is
> > this why my messages don't seem to get through from my home machine?

> They don't get through because if the sender's address in the From
> header doesn't match an address of someone subscribed to the list then
> they are silently discarded.  (Almost) pointless and irritating I
know,
> but that's the way it's been set up.
<snip>

I subscribe to  a few mailing lists, and it appears to me to be a
standard operating procedure, as it is common to all of those mailing
lists, that only an email address that is subscribed to a mailing
list, can post messages to the mailing list.

As mentioned by Gary Allpike, it minimises sincere subscribers on a
mailing list, being stuffed around by inappropriate messages, such as
spam, and, it  also allows the moderator of a mailing list, to
excommunicate a subscriber who misbehaves on a mailing list.

If someone has a problem with the screening of postings, then surely,
the easiest solution, is for the person to subscribe, separately, for
each email address, from which they want to access the mailing list.
Surely that is not so much hassle?

That's my tuppence ha'penny worth.

Bret Busby