[plug] `dd` and SSDD floppies?

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Tue Jun 22 02:25:33 WST 1999

Hi folks,

I'm trying to read and write 386K 3.5" SSDD diskettes with dd. Main reason
is to back store some CP/M disk images to harddrive (and maybe CDROM).

Various DOS applications can read and write to these disks, so the
hardware's okay with the task. However, `dd` appears to fail when trying
to read the non-existent second side of the disk.

I've tried the conv=noerror option, however, while it appears to gather
data (with a whole lot of floppy thrashing), I have no confidence it could
ever write this back to a floppy correctly.

Any help warmly accepted.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |