[plug] `dd` and SSDD floppies?

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Tue Jun 22 22:08:59 WST 1999

Hi guys,

Kevin wrote that I should check out a program called Alienc. If it's the
one for DOS by FBN Software, I have a copy :). It's a rather nice program
that covers a lot of file formats allowing you to format disks and copy
software between DOS and CP/M formats. Downside: it doesn't work with PCs
faster than 386-class (timings). There's also a program called 22disk
which does a lot of CP/M formats, though Microbee 3.5" (800K or 386K)
formats aren't covered.

I've recently picked up system disks for the box I have (a Microbee
Computer-In-A-Book), which includes floppy to floppy disk copying.. But
then I'd also like to be able capture the images to media a bit more
durable. Plus, I think it'd be rather nice to be able to submit boot disk
images to the CP/M archive :).

Mike Holland wrote:
> What device were you using?

On this Debian system, /dev/fd0 is device 2,0.

> Did you try /dev/fd0H360 etc?

Unfortunately, other more specific device names aren't recognised by
Debian's /dev/MAKEDEV script. I've just done a quick grep of
/var/doc/doc-rfc/* and couldn't find `Devices`. Do you have suggested
device numbers for mknod?

OTOH, I'm not massively confident it will work. I suspect it's still going
to try grabbing data from the second side; but this time only grabbing
half the data from the first side. Still, it's worth a try :).

> Read the man pages fd(4).

Not present on this box, but no doubt a websearch will turn up something.

Thanks for the suggestions :).

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |