Electricity problems (was Re: [plug] A Quote)

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 10:01:58 WST 1999

Hi,
 Ive believe that underground power can be more exposed to lightning than above
ground in some circumstances - this is because power lines carry some lightning
protection so while problems occur, they are localized.  Underground however looks
like a low resistance circuit buried in a higher resistance (the "ground") - thus
providing a longer path for the current to dissipate. I would not be surprised if
underground power was not protected against strikes in as effective a way as above
ground.   In tropical areas, strikes within 1km of airport communication lines (i
was in the RAAF at the time) were believed to cause the highly visible/audible
flashovers on telephone distribution blocks inside the buildings during storms.  -
in short, disconnect and not be sorry (ALL connections, modem,  network cabling &
power, including pulling plugs, not just turn off.)

Another point is that i believe WP wire houses in a street to different phases, so
its quite possible for neighbours to have power and yu not - check a few houses
away (i.e., approx 3 apart as the wiring flies!)

BillK