[plug] Re: Electricity problems

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 10:41:23 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/22/99, 6:28:16 PM, "Paul Wilson" <hooker at opera.iinet.net.au> wrote
regarding Re: Electricity problems (was Re: [plug] A Quote):

> > Bret Busby wrote:
> > > So far this year, we have lost one telephone, and one keyboard, due to
> > > the wonky electricity supply.
> > >
> > > The only solution, appears to be a UPS (when we can afford one).
> > >
> > The other thing you should do is disconnect your modem from the
> > telephone line.
> >
> > More lightning damage to hardware is caused via phone lines than via
> > electricty supply lines.

> Odd when the phone line is underground, but power delivery is
overground!
> (an observation, not a criticism)

I doubt the reliability of the information about the "more damage
being caused via phone lines than via electricity supply lines".

Apart from the loss of the computing equipment, and the short
lifetimes of light globes, due to the electricity supply, we also have
a problem with ceiling exhaust fans not lasting longer than a year,
and a few years ago, we had to replace a fridge thermostat ($200),
that the technician told me, was due to the electricity supply.
Basically, any electrical appliance is at risk, due to the unstable
electricity supply.

In NZ, after the Wahine storm back in the sixties, or seventies, or
whenever, when much electricity supply was lost throughout NZ, and,
before the electricity generation and supply was privatised, the
electricity supply was put underground, including rural electricity
supplies, and, lo, the electricity supply became stable. And, NZ has
somewhat more rainfall than Perth. Where I was brought up, we had 87
inches of rain a year, compared to the 87 cm of rain a year in Perth.
And, when the winds blew hard, big trees blew down frequently, and
damage occurred, unlike this trivial storm damage that occurs in Perth
(apart from damage from having above ground electricity transmission
lines).

Regarding the underground telephone cables, telecom has been getting
alot of work done in this area, servicing the underground cabling, to
improve the quality of service, to reduce line noise, and the
servicing of the cabling had not been done in the past, or had not
been done for a long time.

Bret Busby