Electricity problems (was Re: [plug] A Quote)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 11:06:02 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/23/99, 10:01:58 AM, Kenworthy Family <billk at opera.iinet.net.au>
wrote regarding Re: Electricity problems (was Re: [plug] A Quote):

> Hi,
>  Ive believe that underground power can be more exposed to lightning
than above
> ground in some circumstances - this is because power lines carry some
lightning
> protection so while problems occur, they are localized.  Underground
however looks
> like a low resistance circuit buried in a higher resistance (the
"ground") - thus
> providing a longer path for the current to dissipate. I would not be
surprised if
> underground power was not protected against strikes in as effective a
way as above
> ground.   In tropical areas, strikes within 1km of airport
communication lines (i
> was in the RAAF at the time) were believed to cause the highly
visible/audible
> flashovers on telephone distribution blocks inside the buildings
during storms.  -
> in short, disconnect and not be sorry (ALL connections, modem,
network cabling &
> power, including pulling plugs, not just turn off.)

> Another point is that i believe WP wire houses in a street to
different phases, so
> its quite possible for neighbours to have power and yu not - check a
few houses
> away (i.e., approx 3 apart as the wiring flies!)

When we have our monthly blackouts, we don't see any electric lighting
working, in this area.

When the electricity supply lines were put underground in NZ, the
supply became stable, and we didn't have to worry about storms
interfering with the electricity supply.

Perhaps, the SEC just uses cheap and nasty methods, which could be why
you had problems with underground electricity supply.

Unfortunately, since the electricity generation and supply in NZ was
privatised, they too, appear to have taken the cheap and nasty course,
hence the Auckland blackouts, and Mercury Energy saying that it was
not economically feasible to provide a stable supply of electricity.

Bret Busby