[plug] setting up Linux server

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Sat Jun 26 18:52:06 WST 1999

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-plug at linux.org.au [mailto:owner-plug at linux.org.au]On Behalf
> Of Grant Heazlewood
> Sent: Saturday, June 26, 1999 1:50 PM
> To: plug at linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] setting up Linux server
>

> Thanks for the help I'll start reading.
>
> Grant

You may also want to get your hands on a good SAMBA book like the SSC "SAMBA
Integrating UNIX and Windows" (bit outdated now as it concerns only vewrsion
1 not 2). I would recomend you use RedHat as it can be easier to install if
you don't know what all the packages are (but I'm nmot knocking debian ok
guys *grin*). SWAT is a great tool that can be accessed by a browser has all
the help files just a mouse click away and lets you access nearly every
known SAMBA config through a GUI interface. It comes with the SAMBA package
and under redhat you just need to http://sambaserver:901/ to get access.

The biggest problem with SAMBA setup is usually the netwarking side (DNS,
IP's etc), so look there first before SAMBA if you have any probs.

Post to the list if you run into anything specific that you can't figure
out. I have done quite a few SAMBA installs and it really isn't that hard.

Michael Hunt.