[plug] X wont start

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Sat Jun 26 19:48:49 WST 1999

Hi All,

I did a terrible thing the other day. I shut down linux and booted back
to windows. I have been taught a lesson now as I can't run X up any more
without re-running Xconfigurator.

I had my box booting to runlevel 5 but after rebooting out of windows,
the screen switched into graphics mode and wouldn't do any more. I'm
running RH6 and at the time was using the std XFree86 rpms from the
install CD. I let the box sit for about 30mins and then was finally able
to get into a console and edit inittab for future boots. I can get X to
run if I re-run Xconfigurator and set all settings as they used to be, x
will go. If I don't, I get a message saying that it can't load default
font 'fixed'. I have pulled down the update rpms and installed them,
with the same result.

Has anyone seen this before or have any plans of attack?

Cheers,
Damion.

--
Damion Hill