[plug] RPM- "glint"

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Mon Jun 28 20:40:52 WST 1999

> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Len Bird wrote:
>
> > Can anyone lighten my darkness a bit: I had been using RH 5.2 which
> > supported a reasonably user friendly utility from xterm called "glint"
> > This invoked a program that did the legwork for xxxxxx.rpm files. I now
> > have RH ver 6.0 which calls Gnome by default in response to "startx"
> > Gnome has never heard of "glint" but no doubt there is some kind of
> > alternative. Problem is that I don't know about it. Can anyone help.
>
> I believe thT RedHat have ditrched glint in favour of GNORpm ... try that
> from the system menu.

Yeap I wouls say they have ditched it. Couldn't find it anywhere on my
system (and besides Gno RPM does make it a bit redundant. Besides GnoRPM is
more "feature rich" with the ability ton read packagre definition etc
(things you can do with command switches anyhow *grin*)

> > Point-2 Gnome as parcelled with the RH-6 CD that I have seems to be
> > prone to fits of bad temper, and more or less locks up the system. It
> > will support more than the one window, and there are a number of other
> > bugs. I believe that there is an update to RH-6 which is supposed to fix
> > some at least of these problems.
>
> ... You can get all the RedHat-6.0 upf\dates from
> mirror.aarnet.edu /pub/redhat/ .... you'll have to work out the rest.

The only place to start when trying to track down bugs in Redhat is therew
update website. While I have had no problems with the X server on my main
machine (it has a basic S3 card which has had support for some time) some
others have found the patches useful.

Ofg course the other place to start is the search engine at deja news .....

Michael Hunt