[plug] setting up Linux server

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Jun 29 01:43:32 WST 1999

> Have you tried MySQL ?  None of the applications that I've written have

It doesn't understand referential integrity (the authors think it
unimportant) and stores decimals as floating point (the authors don't
understand that one either).

> performance problems (one db has 10.5 million rows in a single table with
> good access times), and you can force integrity by locking tables during

You should NOT need to lock the table (unless modifying the table itself):
the rows being updated MUST be locked.

> updates.  Not ideal for RDBMS purists, I agree, but it *does* work.

Referential integrity means you can define two tables:
One has basic employee info: name, gender etc.
two has employment history (may be many rows as employee moves from
various positions from office junior up through the ranks).

If these tables are defined correctly, you cannot delete a row from the
first while there are related rows in the second.

If the DBMS doesn't do this, it's not relational. If the DBMS doesn't do
this, the logic has to be built into the application, possibly at many
points or the programmers have to provide it in a layer of code of their
own.

Both mySQL and PostgresSQL do a job. Neither meet the requirements of a
RDBMS.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield