[plug] tracing ppp logon

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Mar 2 19:13:59 WST 1999

Dear Arnold,

Arnold Kaars Sijpesteijn wrote:

> hi,
> I am a newbie in the linux camp.  Have Red Hat 5.2 installed
> successfully on my system. But am having a few probs logging on to my
> server.  What is the easiest way to trace what is going on when I log
> on?  (remember i am a newbie, so don't be too criptic ;-) )

Try running: tail -f /var/log/messages (or /var/log/syslog)
in another window.  You should also make sure you have the debug option
set on for pppd and the -v option for chat (to initiate verbose logging)
if you're not doing a PAP log on.

I know Red Hat has some extra GUI utils to help with setting up a ppp
connection but I'm sure these things still both apply.

Regards,

Christian.