[plug] tracing ppp logon

David Cambell campbell at gear.torque.net
Tue Mar 2 21:10:55 WST 1999

> Thanks for your reply Christian,
> just a few more questions
> > From:          Christian <christian at global.net.au>
> > Dear Arnold,
> >
> > Arnold Kaars Sijpesteijn wrote:
> > >
> > > hi,
> > > I am a newbie in the linux camp.  Have Red Hat 5.2 installed
> > > successfully on my system. But am having a few probs logging on to my
> > > server.  What is the easiest way to trace what is going on when I log
> > > on?  (remember i am a newbie, so don't be too criptic ;-) )
>
> > Try running: tail -f /var/log/messages (or /var/log/syslog)
> I tried that. (had seen it somewhere else) but all that seemed to do
> was to hang in the window, could not get the prompt back or anything.
> and where will I see the out put?  (I seem to remember to do a man
> tail as well, but not getting the manpage)

A few comments from the debian world about ppp chat scripts.
Throw a "REPORT CONNECT" at the top of the chat script. This enables
reporting of the CONNECT <SPEED> when the modem has finished the speed
negotiation. Also you need to pass to chat program "-r <report file>"
for this to work. Without seeing what is ending up in syslog it is a bit
hard to help, it could be your modem is not responding "OK"
to an init string and chat is getting all confused (saw that yesterday...)

David Campbell