[plug] Problem with NE2000 card using thin coax.

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed Mar 3 11:56:41 WST 1999

Old Ne2000 cards (especially if they are ISA) do have to be configured with
some form of DOS utility. The compex cards, SMC (not strictly a NE2000 card)
etc had DOS utils for telling what media type you were using i.e. coax, UTP,
thick ethernet etc. Do the following

POP the case to find out exact brand version model etc of card.
Go to winfiles for drivers sites.
Try tracking down the utility.

For the compex cards that I have had this has usually allowed me to fix the
problem.

Alternatively grab $40 or $50 and go out and buy a new card like one of the
Ready link cards that are auto sensing.

This assumes that the card is the problem and not some config error on your
machine.