[plug] [Fwd: OS/2] - found this interesting

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Mar 6 15:05:49 WST 1999

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Colin 't Hart wrote:

> > top 2000 worldwide OS/2 customers generate a revenue of "somewhere
> > between $US30 billion and $US40 billion", or about half of the $US80

> Say US$36 billion, divided by 6 million OS/2 boxes = US$6000 to IBM for
> each OS/2 box out there.

I _think_ they mean the customers, not OS/2, generate it.
i.e.  "Lots of IBM mainframe users also use OS/2".
It doesnt mean they will go anywhere else if OS/2 is dropped.
( Or am I several orders of magnitude off? )

> Maybe these clients want to move to Linux?

I doubt if many Linux programmers do mainframe interfacing.
What would they need, apart from the 3270 emulator?

> One would hope that IBM's Linux support might cause most of these OS/2
> users to switch to Linux if/when OS/2 does finally go by the way.

I suspect IBM would sooner port such app's to AIX. But from there its only
a small step to Linux.

----
Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
3rd Law of Computing:
        Anything that can go wr
fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped