[plug] Hello?

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Mar 7 23:23:45 WST 1999

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Seems most of the people here use RedHat. Are there any other serious Debian
> users who keep abreast of the Debian world on this list?
Quite a number, actually. After Redhat, we are the best-represented group,
and probably equal in representation amongst professional users.

> Anyone know if the imminent Debian 2.1 release uses the new 2.2 kernel??
No. It will be the final 2.0-based release of Debian. Part of the aim of
Slink is to prepare the way for a clean-as-possible transition to 2.2 in
the next release, since a kernel upgrade is such a fundamental change that
it really requires a minor-number development process mostly to itself.
In light of this, every package in Slink is meant to be uptodate to the
point required by the 2.2 kernel.
In other words, install Slink, then compile and run a 2.2 kernel, and you
should expect it to work perfectly. If it doesn't, best to submit a bugfix
before Potato is released.
Does anyone have a link to the Potato picture? I am sure many list-members
would find it amusing.

-Greg Mildenhall

> | On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
> | course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
>  \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /
Don't get me started. :)
When I quote, I quote.