[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 10 15:01:30 WST 1999

>Paul all the ALPHA UPS'S i have seen come with drivers for the
>following Wnidows NT Windows 95 SCO Unix AIX LINUX and OS/2. the OS/2
>ones come on diskette and the rest are on the cd-rom i will see if i
>can source them from a friend of mine who has them running under linux
>for you paul but i think you should have them. He has the alpha 9000
>UPS which did you get?

I've (or rather, the client has) the 500SVA. There's a floppy with the
Win9x/NT drivers on it, plus a CD which ought to be a chargable option
(Atkins Carlisle made a mistake & it was a freebie) with sundry UNIX s/w on
it. No Linux, and a series of blank looks when I phoned AC & Alpha
themselves and mentioned Linux.  I'm sure that you can imagine a blank look
over the phone !   :-)

I downloaded statserial from sunsite this morning and ran it against the
port that the UPS cable was plugged into and saw nothing useful at all.
Regardless of whether or not mains was being fed into the UPS the signals
didn't change.  Now *that* puzzles me.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had 2 slightly different cables between the
UPS & Linux, I'd blame the cable at this point.  I'm almost tempted to say
that this UPS doesn't do anything with the serial port, except that the tiny
A5 manual says that it does.  The next step is to attach it to one of the
Win95/8 clients there, load the software and play.

Paul
(frustrated again)