[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Brad Campbell defence at omen.com.au
Thu Mar 11 10:11:05 WST 1999

Chris Cornish wrote:

> Paul are you goming to the quake fest i may have a break out box if
> you have not worked it all out by then ill have a look and let you
> know :)
>
> ---Paul Wilson <hooker at opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > >i have contacted a friend of mine over east and he says the linux
> > >software only comes on Alpha 6000 and above so i do appoligise but i
> > >was beliving that if it came with one it would come with all (doh
> this
> > >is the IT industry isn't it nothing ever makes sense)
> >

> > OK Chris, thanks anyway. All I really have to do is find a serial
> cable that
> > actually *does* something when plugged into the UPS, and then frig
> > 'genpowerd' to recognise it.
> >
> > <sigh>
> >
> > Quite right about the industry :-(
> >
> > Paul
> > (still frustrated)

Heres a curly one. I have a SOLA UPS Here, and it comes with it's own
serial
cable. It does this, because the 9 pin connector on the back of the unit
does
NOT comply with RS-232 pinouts. The cable is used to bring this into
line for
plugging into a PC.
It may be wise to use either a breakout box with led's on EVERY pin, and
not
expecting the ground to be on pin 5, or a cro to figure what is where.
More often than not, they just toggle a handshaking pin, rather than
give anything
intelligent from thier port.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-