[plug] Samba w/NT

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Thu Mar 11 11:20:06 WST 1999

> From: 	Ian Kent
>
> At 11:03 AM 08-03-99 +0800, Shackleton, Kevin wrote something like:
>
> snip ...
>

> >  os level = 65
> >  local master = yes
> >  preferred master = yes
> >  domain master = yes
>
> Looks like you have configured your server to win browser elections.
> So you are the Master Browser for the subnet.
> Crafty!

That way the browse list stays stable as the NT server craps out.  We were
losing the browse list every hour or two B.L. (Before Linux).

> >  wins server = <IP_address_of_your_NT_WINS_Server>
>
> But you have a WINS server?

Yes, our state-wide network uses one WINS server in Perth.  So as long as
the WAN is up, we can find other Windows PCs.  And when it isn't . .

> And you haven't said you use a seperate Domain for your Samba network.
> Is that right?

I forget what the Samba book says about "domain master".  But yes, I operate
the Linux workgroup/domain as separate as possible from NT.  Unfortunately
still need the NT server for its PDC functions - eg to get authority for
using Exchange.