[plug] OK, so what do we do if someone begs us?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Mar 12 13:00:28 WST 1999

david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au wrote:
> _This_ is interesting... 8-)
> "SLUG spokesman Grahame Kelly said that PC/IT organisers Australian
> Exhibition Services approached the group a week and a half ago and offered
> them a $7,500 stand at PC/IT for nothing to talk to people about Linux."

So what do we do if someone comes to us? Say yes, of course, and...?

We'd have to wear ties. Some of us, at least. Sigh.

I'd recommend scrounging some machines for doing interactive surveys
(and also have a table and paper surveys for the Luddites), and
publishing realtime results on an overhead display and the web. People
will fill one out just to see their entry change the numbers.

I think also a large, impressive-looking machine like Matt's running
next to an old 386 (perhaps the 386 could be displaying survey results)
would be a dramatic illustration of scalability - and throw in a Sparc
and a Mac and whatever else we could get for portability.

Finally, odd though it seems at a business expo, a screen running
observer mode in Quake or something to show off power interactive games
would be good.

Oh, and the other thing we have to do is get a professional act together
so that there is an actual chance of someone begging us. (-:

--
Me:   "Uh...I think your disk has a bad sector."
User: "But it can't!  It worked fine yesterday!"