[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 12 15:51:08 WST 1999

>Paul,
> any chance of analyzing what is sent back and forth?  Can't it
>just be run in dumb mode with a relay to let Linux know the power has
>gone?  Surely nobody would make a UPS that un-friendly!

Andrew, I'd like to believe that, but I'm not sure.  I'll have a play over
the weekend (if I get any spare time) & see what the thing says when the
power gets pulled.

The s/w developer that I spoke to was claiming that the UPS tells the server
useful (!) things like battery life, operating temperature etc. That could
muddle things quite a bit.

Paul