[plug] RedHat & Debian

Peter Wilsmore djinn at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 12 15:27:14 WST 1999

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 08:42:17AM +0800, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> I use both.  I had problems setting up RH5.0 and 5.2 as a squid server with
> a dialup to an ISP, but Debian worked out of the box.  So far I haven't got
> a news server running on either, but I haven't committed much time either.
>
> rpm seems to more accepted than dpkg.  I don't know if rpm is easier to
> change about, but I installed Debian from CD and then removed the CD drive.
> Now I don't seem to be able to tell dpkg to look to an nfs drive to install
> other packages.
>
> K.

Debian
dpkg -i /place/thing-you-want-to-install
hard isnt it?
either that or you could set up apt-get and try
apt-get install <package>
or
apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade to the latest dist that you have change your
config file to
the config file is in /etc/apt/sources.list
and
man sources.list will tell you how to set it up if you cant tell from the
two examples provided

anyhow, how do I unsubscribe, I need to change to a different email account.

thanks,
  the Djinn