[plug] What is gnome?

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sat Mar 13 02:45:05 WST 1999

David Buddrige wrote:

> It's an easy to use Window Manager for X Windows... The other main
> alternative is KDE... I haven't had much to do with Gnome (although I am
> eager to check it out in near-future), but GNOME looks much like the latest
> MacOS I am told.
> GNOME 1.0 will be the default Window Manager on Redhat 5.3 which is due out
> within a month or so...

GNOME is NOT a window manager.  GNOME is a "desktop environment".  GNOME
runs on top of whatever window manager you use although it works best
with GNOME-compliant WM's (Enlightenment being the most compliant,
Window Maker and icewm also being some way there).  GNOME basically
includes a whole set of applications which can work together and
exchange information etc.   It also provides a set of libraries with
additional high-level functionality not included with the X Window
System.  GNOME also looks nothing like MacOS - although it uses GTK as
it's toolkit and hence is themable to look like almost anything.

Regards,

Christian.