[plug] Acorn Linux?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 15 12:33:53 WST 1999

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 10:54:31AM +0800, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> I spent some time web browsing for Linux on Acorn PCs, without much success.
> Does anyone know if Acorn Linux is being maintained?

Apparently so ;
http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html

(found off the www.linux.org ports page)

I'm intending to give it a go myself RSN. I've got an old A3000 and a
couple of recently acquired A4000's. If you know of any Acorn bits and
pieces being sold or dumped, I'm interested in having a look. I only just
got myself a replacement monitor for my A3000 - an NEC Multisync 3D,
which can sync down to 15KHz line rate - I'd be interested in a spare
for that as well.

There is a catch, however. If, like me, you mean that you want to run
it on old ARM2/ARM250/ARM3 machines, then finding a machine with more
than 4MB of RAM is pretty rare. (but doable on most machines, and it's
still possible to find people who will do an upgrade).

That means that performance is bad, and installation can be problematic -
it may be easiest to build a booting filesystem under another OS rather
than try a direct Linux install.

If you're talking about a RiscPC, memory's not a problem. If you have a
StrongARM for it then performance should be wholly acceptable by modern
standards.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal