[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Tue Mar 16 15:48:00 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:21:10 +0800
From:           	David Buddrige <buddrige at q-net.net.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: [plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Phillip Summers wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what people thought about Gnome.
>
> Haven't used GNOME much - KDE (from what I've read) uses less resources - and
> is probably (IMO) easier to use in that GNOME for newbies.  (although GNOME has
> many technical advantages as well as being much more configurable).

I will be downloading GNOME on the weekend and installing it with as
many windowmanagers for a demo at the UCC meeting. I do not plan to
"lecture" at this meeting rather "here is a loaded box, have a shot
and mess around with it" testing the "bundled" applications (OK -
some of the desktop toys like Mahjong etc..)

> > I can see that Linux has many advantages over Windows but its weakest point
> > seems to be the GUI.

Some would argue that because Linux does not have an embedded window-
manager that this is a strength. No easy where clicking an icon can
crash the machine. I have yet to see an application crash the X
server let alone the machine.