[plug] Filesystem with two HD's

david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au
Thu Mar 18 15:23:20 WST 1999

what I did when my brother had the same problem was to:

1. Mount /dev/hdb1 somewhere (I will assume it is mounted at: /mnt/harddisk
2. Create a directory on the blank hard-drive (for example I will assume you
will create dir called /mnt/harddisk/transferred
3. Copy a bunch of files from a large directory on /dev/hda2 (/usr/local is
usually pretty big) into /mnt/harddisk/transferred
4. delete the directory whose contents you have just transferred into
/mnt/harddisk/transferred
5. Create a softlink (or hard-link) from the original location to the new
location using the original directory name as the name of the link.

It works just fine... 8-)

Dave...