[plug] M$ wants you to pay & Mac to go OSS

Peter Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 19 10:16:06 WST 1999

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Garry Moir wrote:

> Not a Linux issue, but of interest.
>
> M$ has plans for selling its service pack for Win98.

How tipical, oh well just another reason not to use M$ products. Not that
I needed another reason :)

> Mac anounces its interest in going Open Source with its X server.

Not quiet open source, I forget exactly what its called but it just opens
up the kernel micro code and not all the bits that run and top, the idea
is to get developers to devel for it in direct competition to Linux. If
they wanted real OSS they would also release the specs to their machines
so that Linux could be easily ported to all its platforms but they are
remaining firm about their decision not to release the specs.

Peter

| Windows has detected that the mouse has moved, please reboot for |
| this change to take effect                                       |
Peter Robinson
ribbo at iinet.net.au
http://www.iinet.net.au/~ribbo/