[plug] good email program

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Mar 19 10:37:42 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:

> zed wrote:
> > being a newbie im still wading through the ocean of linux  appz.
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of a good email program...im afraid
> > im sorta used to Eudora pro................im using the mail messenger
> > built into netscape at the mo and i really prefer a separate app.
> > any ideas gratly appreciated....
>
> Go to http://freshmeat.net and type the word "mail" into the search box.
> Download four or five and play with them to pick one that suits your
> fine self.

This is pretty much the equivalent of saying "There isn't one." ;-)  My
experience shows that Messenger is the most fully featured email program
for Linux right now (although, being part of Netscape, it crashes from
time to time).    There are plenty of powerful console-based email
programs (eg, pine, elm & mutt) but if you want an X11-based one then
they're a little thinner on the ground.  XFMail used to be popular but
it uses the horrible XForms library.  Balsa (the GNOME email client)
also looks very good and reasonably full-featured - this is also likely
to improve in time.

Regards,

Christian.