[plug] Distributions (again)

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Sat Mar 20 10:22:16 WST 1999

On 19 Mar 99, at 22:18, Robert Potter wrote:

> Biggest job I've had is configuring dial-up-networking using PPP - which
> still isn't working, but that's got more to do with my trying to figure out
> what the Murdoch dial-up server is expecting than anything else I think.

I found that by running modemtool and then netcfg I had no
problem at all with setting up dial up networking.

Modemtool binds /dev/modem to the correct com port while netcfg
is an easy to use gui for setting up the dial-up. I've got multiple
interfaces set up to allow me to dial to 33.6k or 56k at wantree and
another to let me dial uni.

The only time it doesn't work is when I try to enable sound. I seem
to get a conflict with the sound card and modem. I can dial out but
it takes up to 30secs for the modem to respond and then when it
connects it doesn't verify. If I take out sound, no problems.

The APC Pocketbook explains both of these tools well. If you can
grab a copy of it, check it out.

Cheers,
Damion.