[plug] 2.2.3 and PPP problem.

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Sun Mar 21 06:39:09 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Sun, 21 Mar 1999 01:58:17 -0800
From:           	Trevor Phillips <phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: [plug] 2.2.3 and PPP problem.
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Steve Baker wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> >
> > > I've installed the Slink Debian afresh with the 2.2.1 kernel for my
> > > Gateway box at home, and now I'm having problems with PPP. The
> > > chat-script goes fine, and watching the log it correctly connects,
> > > authenticates, and sets up the server/client IP's. However, I cannot
> > > ping the other side of the PPP link. Local IP is fine, remote, not so
> > > much.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Check your routing tables, and make sure that the keyword 'default' is
> > added to your ppp dialup script to add a default route through the PPP link.
>
> Routing is fine, although it does take a while for it to return the route
> tables.

Trev,

Problems you are encountering I have already dealt with with Debian
"Hamm" & 2.2.x kernels. Here are the problems you need to deal with:

a) ipchains is used instead of ipfwadmin - need a different
configuration to get things to work properly. I need to grab a copy
of the script that I setup for my brother's dial up box. Probably not
as secure as the equivalent Debian ipfwadmin script but
"It works!! (tm)"

b) ip forwarding requires a "cat 1 > /proc/sysconf/net/ipv4/forward"
(or similar).

Without the above two items you do not have a hope in hell of getting
a packet past the kernel.

David Campbell

PS: Did not see you last night (you missed a cute SB-AMG Dale showed
during the dinner break, he has another 7 ;-). Trev, did you get
around to adding my name to that mailing list yet?

campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
b) sleep (optional extra)