[plug] WINE and cheese night

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Mar 23 13:03:38 WST 1999

Hokay, let's start discussing a WINE and cheese night...

I guess that the idea will be to have as many boxes there running WINE
and Windows apps as possible. I think that there should be a minor prize
for bringing the smallest (lowest horsepower and RAM) useable WINE box
("the WINE sample"), and the biggest (quad K7s with a gig each, say,
running on a wall screen like the one in that Arnie Schwartzenegger
movie about Mars) ("the WINE barrel").

I intend to SlashDot the announcement about a fortnight beforehand,
presuming that we have a venue confirmed, and post it to a few news
groups and at least one news paper. I would like to invite a few
"industry leaders" and maybe pollies as well, and am wondering exactly
who I should invite (-: besides the local Microsoft manager, of course
:-).

Now, what should we actually announce? (-:

I propose that entry should cost one interesting block of cheese, having
things like Jarlsberg in mind, or at least one bottle of physical
derived-from-grapes wine (non-alco, since the venue will be public and
probably not licenced) or quality grape juice (since "wine" originally
meant fresh grape juice anyway). If you feel like also bringing some
savoury bikkies, this would be good also.

I am considering Global Warriors as a venue because they are networked
(so networking apps can be demoed) and the publicity will be good for
them as well. If GW doesn't work, I will ask about 'phone access at each
alternative venue. This will also be discussed on Sunday.

How say you?

--
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
'What!