[plug] Adding a permanent route on a RH5.2 box

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Mar 23 13:59:37 WST 1999

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Michael Hunt wrote:

> Ok. So if the command is:
>
> route add -host 255.255.255.255 dev eth0
>
> then the command to go in would be:
>
> eth0 host 255.255.255.255 ? (Doesn't seem to work)

Yup thats all correct ....  I treid it here and it works.

> If you want to know why I am having to add such a strange address its
> because MS clients won't work (get IP addresses under DHCP) without this
> broadcast address being set.
>

> > once you have edited the file try:
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network retstart; route

... You can test the script (without loseing your PPP link) with

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes eth0 ; route
... This will tell you if you have the correct file setup etc .... If this
works and .../network restart then we need to look at you entire network setup
:(

> > If your route is there then you've done it right.
>
> I did this across a PPP connection an didn't really consider what I was
> doing until after I issued the command !!!!

:( ... Sorry ...

Yours Tony.