[plug] 2.2.3 and PPP

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Mar 23 15:41:07 WST 1999

Brad Campbell wrote:

> Heres a curly one,
> This may be blatantly obvious, but I think I'm missing something.
> I'm upgrading my fileserver/gateway machine from 2.0.35 to 2.2.3.
> Doing this breaks PPP.
> It dials in fine, negotiates, gives me my IP addrs, then falls
> over when trying to configure the ppp0 device.
> Doing an ifconfig gives me no ppp0 device.
> Usually, on 2.0.35, I have no ppp0 device, until it dials up.
> This seems pretty normal to me. What appears to be happening
> is ppp is unable to configure the device. It spits an ioctl error
> at me. I'm thinking I need to re-compile ppp for the new kernel.
> Sound about right ?

If by 2.0.35 you mean RedHat 5.1, I think an upgrade to 5.2 is in order
first, as 5.2 appears to contain necessary libraries. If my memory is
good (a hazy bet at the moment), PPP was one thing which definitely
broke without that upgrade.

--
Q.  Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
A.  That depends on whether by "stamp out" you mean "eliminate" or