[plug] Linux for Dummies

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Mar 23 16:22:58 WST 1999

Mim Morcom wrote:

> Has anyone had a chance to look at Linux for Dummies 99, and is it
> worth buying ?

Important points:
a)  Linux is not for dummies.

b)  Why would you want to buy a book then making that purchase is
basically insulting yourself? :)

My recommendation for computer books (entirely on their technical merit)
is O'Reilly & Assocs.  They have several Linux-specific books such as
"Running Linux" which is really good for not only getting yourself
started but also helps to fill in some of the more advanced concepts
when you get there.  Best of all, while not being 100% up to date, it
teaches you the reasoning behind the system and important underlying
concepts which will stand you in good stead even when the latest
iteration of a particular piece of software comes along.  I believe
there's also a quick reference book called "Linux in a Nutshell" which
is probably better if you've already got some grasp on the basics.
Apart from these then you start to get into the more specific books
which cover specific concepts (eg, NFS/NIS, security, DNS, TCP/IP and so
on) which apply in very similar ways to most Unix systems.

To sum up: If you're looking for a good book to get you started but one
you're not going to throw away in two months time (and you don't wish to
denigrate yourself in the process), IMHO you can't go past "Running
Linux" (Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman).

Hope this helps,

Christian.