[plug] Animations ...

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Mar 24 08:27:48 WST 1999

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Tamara Thompson wrote:

> Hi Trevor , I'm a few steps behind.  I just heard about xanim last
> night--how do you use it?  run it from the command line in xterm?

It can be run from the command line, and can be set up in Netscape so
embedded animations work.

> One bug I do have, though, is that it won't play MPG's! Worse than that, it
> doesn't give a bug, but jams xanim and I have to kill it off! Has anyone else
> experienced this problem with the latest xanim and MPG animations??

Yes, and I haven't used xanim for mpgs for ages.. I used to use mpeg_play
but that doesn't support sound, so now I use the freeware (command line)
version of mpegtv (www.mpegtv.com) that you get in the archive when you
download their "nagware" GUI version.  I haven't felt the need to register
the GUI version yet (US$20 for linux, US$10 for windows, and you can't use
the same license for both OSes even if you dual boot them on the same PC)
but I might one day, because it plays video CDs too, and rather well.

 - Matt