[plug] Bad superblock

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Thu Mar 25 08:50:37 WST 1999

I fired up my trusty linux partition last night to receive the nasty
message that I had a bad superblock. When I tried to boot from the rescue
disk, lilo wouldn't start so I've had to go thru a rebuild of my system.

What is it that causes a superblock to go bad?

I was getting symptoms of a problem earlier. I booted linux and then
started xscreensaver while I was away for a bit. About an hour after
booting, my brother fired up netscape without the ppp link being active.
Netscape crashed and I had to kill it. Fired up the ppp link without
hassle but from then on, my backspace and delete keys only caused a beep
without doing what they were sposed to do. I restarted X thinking it might
just be a problem there but it didn't resolve the prob.

I ended up booting back to Win95 just to complete what I had to do but
when I went back to Linux, bad superblock.

Can Netscape do something like this or am I looking at bigger problems?

Cheers,
Damion.

---
Damion Hill