[plug] WINE and cheese night - the consequences

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 25 09:32:09 WST 1999

I have been running MSOffice 97 on top of Win98, on a Cyrix P150+ with 32MB
of EDO RAM. The speed has been acceptable (but not the crashes).

As a comparison, would I be able to run this, or, similar Win9x applications
on WinE, without an appreciable drop in performance? (Once I sort out my
hard drive situation, I intend to switch to Star Office.)

If WinE can run on a configuration like this, without an appreciable drop in
performance, then it will have it over Win2000, on the basis of the concept
that M$ push; TCO - total cost of ownership. Many people, like me, have
cheap systems like this; and, to upgrade them to systems that would run Win
NT comfortably, would require upgrading the hardware, which means that the
conversion cost would be even greater. And, Win2000 is just WinNT5, so it
would require at least the same resources as WinNT 4.

One consideration, regarding WinE; will it handle GDI printers, that only
run on Win3x and Win9x? I have an NEC SS660+ (belongs to an organisation),
which has drivers only for Win3x and Win9x (not for WinNT!). Similarly, an
HP Scanjet 5100C (Win9x drivers only, and TextBridge - Win98 only). Would
the drivers run on WinE?

Bret Busby