[plug] Migrating to new HD

steve at rumah.iinet.net.au steve at rumah.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 26 06:51:56 WST 1999

Hi Tony,

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Tony Clark wrote:

> Tar and zip the directories you want to keep then untar them onto the new
> drive.  That will keep links etc intact where a straight copy wont.

Thanks!  I've found the howto now, too (not read yet :)

> >     I want to migrate my RH5.2 system to a new HD.  Could somebody
> > please point me to the best HOWTO or other info to help me get the
> > migration right first time?

[...]

> > I'd get into searching the docs but I have to go to work.  Last night I
> > just had time to get the download of SO finished while fixing some audio

Big Trap!  Start the Star Office d/l with netscape, ISP shuts me down
after 2 hrs, netscape still going.  Log in again, continue the download
with NCftp -- finished.  Next day, Netscape still thinks the d/l is
stalled.  Stop the n/s d/l.  Did you know Netscape cleans up after itself
and deletes unfinished downloads?  I'm glad I didn't sit there watching
while the file took 5 hours to download.  :)  The instructions for finding
the inodes for a 60+Mb deleted file persuaded me to find the apcmag with
SO on CD.  :-}

Cheers.
Steve

--
Stephen Gill                       ABC-TV Cameraman/editor/soundman
Contact Net Services (& video)	   Freelance cameraman/non-linear editor,