[plug] Bad superblock

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Fri Mar 26 07:48:03 WST 1999

On 25 Mar 99, at 1:38, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Netscape can mess around with key mapping, but IMHO would be hard
> pressed to kill a superblock. However, Netscape nastiness wouldn't
> normally be expected to survive an X restart. Try running a good virus
> scanner over your _Windows_ partition!

Not sure what went wrong. I ran the scanner as you suggested and
it was coming up clean except for one Access DB file. This file
reported an I/O error and the scan aborted.

I was still scratching my head because nothing seemed to be
wrong. That was until I fired up Pegasus mail. It wouldn't check my
POP host for new mail. All the configs were gone, as if the prog
had just been installed and run for the first time. I decided it would
be a good opportunity to upgrade to the latest version but when I
started Netscape to download it, Netscape had lost all of its
configs.

I decided to cut my losses att his point, backed up all my data and
fdisked the lot. Things are looking better now.

Has anyone run into a problem like this? First the linux superblock
thing followed by this?

Cheers,
Damion.

--