[plug] Installn

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Mar 28 03:32:31 WST 1999

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Gavin Tweedie wrote:

> Pfft!
> my gateway machine at home is a 486dx2-66 w/ 8mbram and a 120meg hdd
>
> [root at int-gw /root]# free
> Mem:          6712       6288        424       4412        268       3376
> -/+ buffers/cache:       2644       4068
> Swap:        15420        384      15036
> [root at int-gw /root]# df
> Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda1             100138   82087    12880     86%   /
>
> :)
> thats redhat 5.2 minus docs, minus man pages, minus x, minux graphics
> libraries, minus.... :)
>
> running 2.2.3 and it has 2xethernet cards in it and my ppp connection and
> also hanbdles my printing for my network. Mind you i think thats about as
> much as ill squeeze out of that box :)

Come on, you're not trying yet.

I had a 486DX33, 8 Mb that was doing all the above (printing with
ghostscript) plus socks plus mail plus proxy web server.

It also had XFree installed.

The system wasn't fast, but it WAS faster than my modem.

However, running Linux in 4 Mb won't be much fun. I think I've heard that
RH install won't run for starters.

Possibly when you round up a HDD, some kind soul will install Linux on it
for you. It doesn't HAVE to be done while it's in your computer.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield