[plug] Migrating to new HD

steve at rumah.iinet.net.au steve at rumah.iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 28 09:54:33 WST 1999

Hi,
    I'm now using the 1.5G HD, and the change was relatively trouble-free.

After starting yesterday morning (install hdc, partition (100M /boot, the
rest / ) copy files across) we went out.  In the arvo I followed the text
of "Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To" for installing LILO on floppy, then
on hdc, removing the other disks and restarting.

It took an hour or so longer than it should because, being more familiar
with other operating systems that don't attach all filesystems and
devices to / , I didn't spot (until after poring through the man
pages and other docs for ages) that I hadn't, and needed to create the
directories /boot and /proc on hdc5.

Well, you live and learn.  :)

> > > Tar and zip the directories you want to keep then untar them onto the new
> > > drive.  That will keep links etc intact where a straight copy wont.

I haven't found any problems with this yet.  I did a straight copy of hda
to hdc1 and hdb to hdc5.

> > Big Trap!  Start the Star Office d/l with netscape, ISP shuts me down
> > after 2 hrs, netscape still going.  Log in again, continue the download
> > with NCftp -- finished.  Next day, Netscape still thinks the d/l is
> > stalled.  Stop the n/s d/l.  Did you know Netscape cleans up after itself

> Actually, I have found lftp to be great for downloads, across multiple
> dialup sessions, it just keeps trying to re-connect and reget until it
> finishes the file.

iiNet's pretty quiet in the early hours.  Thanks to noisy neighbours I
logged in and started the download again at 01:00 and three and a half
hours later it arrived.  No I didn't watch it.  Thankfully the neighbours
reduced the volume and I could get to sleep.

> Thats how I downloaded the debian2.0 .iso image over a 28.8k link.
> Just used diald, to pause 10 mins after a disconnect (to keep the isp
> happy) and in 3 days I had the image :p)

Wow!  How big is that one?

Cheers.

--
Stephen Gill                       ABC-TV Cameraman/editor/soundman
Contact Net Services (& video)	   Freelance cameraman/non-linear editor