[plug] X Hangs PPP

steve at rumah.iinet.net.au steve at rumah.iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 28 12:31:42 WST 1999

I dunno about this stuff

Any suggestions about what I should try in order to find out why booting
Xwindows should cause my dialup PPP to hang will be appreciated.  If X is
already running and I start ppp it's fine.  Shutdown X and restart it
(after Netscape locked the GUI up) and ppp was still there but not
functioning.

Fetchmail says there's a nameserver error.  Ping just sits there.
Traceroute just gives asterisks.  ifconfig shows no errors.  netstat -r
gives:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
203.0.178.34    *               255.255.255.255 UH      576 0          0 ppp0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0 lo
default         203.0.178.34    0.0.0.0         UG      576 0          0 ppp0

Should I uninstall X and start again?

Should I have tar-edev erything like I was told to?

Cheers,
Steve

--
Stephen Gill                       ABC-TV Cameraman/editor/soundman
Contact Net Services (& video)	   Freelance cameraman/non-linear editor